Sunday, September 2, 2007

Bleu D'Auvergne

I discovered something important this summer: I love blue cheese.

Now, everyone in my family loves cheese, but we are split on the issue of blue cheese. One one side of the ring we have me and my dad, advocates of the beautiful, sharp, tang of blue cheese, which bursts in your mouth like a flavour explosion[1]. On the other side you have my mom and Kim, who decry the sharp flavour of the blue-veined dairy product. Somewhat in between are Kristal and Michael. Kristal is tolerant of blue cheese, and will try it. And Michael is so unprejudiced in matters of cheese that he will just eat any type of cheese, no matter what its origin, type or flavour.

I had said something about having OD'd on cheese over the summer, and cutting back on cheese while here in Toronto (being on a budget and all) but a week has passed, and I find that I simply can't not take advantage of the superior selection of cheeses in Toronto. It would be a shame. That's my justification anyways. They practically have the same amount of selection at Whole Foods here that they have at the specialized cheese shop back home, and like Les Amis du Fromage, they let you sample. And this isn't even touching the ridiculous, ridiculous, ridiculous amount of cheese I saw at the St. Lawrence Market. That being said, I'm seriously contemplating trying a new cheese every week.

This week I got Bleu D'Auvergne, which is a soft, french blue cheese made from cow's milk. It's creamier than the blue cheeses I have tried so far (with the exception of Cambozola) and not as sharp (again with the exception of Cambozola). Still good though, with the flavour explosion. However, the mildness of the Bleu D'Auvergne means that I could probably just eat it on its own. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Sorry for the over-used cliche, but really, blue cheese is nothing if not flavourful.

No comments: